Monday, June 8, 2015

Adventures in Weakness - In the Beginning

Over the past years, I've been searching for something - something where I can enjoy the activity, nervous at the start, motivated at the end, a whole range of emotions in between and something that satisfies my competitive spirit and the need for something meaningful.

Early Spring of 2014, my brother decided to start cycling and bought his first "hybrid."  So, as I enjoy the time with my brother and since I'm always looking to get in better shape and enjoy the competition, I dragged out my 26 year old Trek 730, cleaned it up, got the tubes replaced, bought a new helmet and biking shorts with the padding, found some wierd toe straps and decided to go for the ride.  It was a 15 mile ride around the 4th of July.

I thought "15 miles - no biggie - I can do that."  Plus, I knew I would be motivated by trying to keep up and beat my brother or at least gain some credibility in his eyes.  I set off with Rick and my sister Anne on her negative weight road bike.  :)

The first mile was a re-acclimation with biking, my legs, breathing and "being out there."  About five miles in I needed a break.  Around 8 miles we encountered a very big hill, at least for me as a naive newbie, and while I started well, I ended up walking part of it, out of breath, feeling like crap and wondering what the hell I was thinking.  But, at the top of every hill you go up, you often get to go back down.  And down we went.  I was reminded of the fun of a child who effortlessly hop on their bikes and spend the day smiling, laughing and having fun.  It was FUN.  It was invigorating and it made the hill I just climbed feel rewarded.

As I grinded through the last few miles of the ride, and a grind it was, I thought about liking this activity.  I get to move, see scenery and nature around me, with my family, having conversations, getting a great workout and generally enjoying myself.

At the end of the ride, we stopped at a great little Mexican place and enjoyed a few Margaritas and some food as we sat outside in sunny warm weather.

And the idea of cycling started to burrow into my mind.  I had no idea what I was doing.  But, I like adventures, the thrill of the unknown, and getting outside of my comfort zone.  Cycling is one of those activities that harkens back to childhood joy, incorporates engineering and technology fulfilling my nerd-needs, is competitive, and doesn't kill my surgically reconstructed knees.

It was indeed the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment